Help with Running Cramps

Running cramps, particularly running calf cramps, afflict everyone from the person going out for a morning jog, to elite athletes. And it's not just runners that get cramps they can be a factor in any sport - tennis, swimming, golf, cycling and triathlon. This site is dedicated to sharing ideas and information between sports people, athletes, health practitioners, anyone who enjoys training - for the best ways to prevent, avoid and treat muscle cramp.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

When Running Cramps Become a Strain

Dealing with Running Cramps is one thing - but curing serious calf strain is a challenge that has taken me over 8 weeks. In this article I'm going to share with you the techniques I've learned to turn around debilitating and chronic calf strain.

It all started when I returned to running after literally tearing my hamstring - in fact the tendon totally tore off the muscle.

Through constant physiotherapy, daily exercises and plenty of walking and stretches I was gradually able to build up my remaining tendon and get the muscle working again.

Surgery at the time wasn't an option because I was working in a remote area and by the time I was able to walk again, I was also pain-free and decided against having a surgical repair.

The end result, to cut a long story short, is when I got into running again, I found that I had changed my running style to accomodate the injury and this resulted intially in running cramp - the reason I wrote the Running Cramp Relief E-Book

Once I worked out how to cure the running calf cramps - it's all in the book - I started to get chronic calf strain. In fact the strains appeared like clockwork; at around the 3km mark (running at only 60% effort) I experienced a sudden stabbing pain that go worse very quickly and resulted in a convalesecence period of over 5 days.

So I then switched my attention to dealing with the strain and successfully came up with a program that I'm about to commit to e-book form.

Once the e-book is produced, all of my Running Cramp Relief customers will receive an advance copy absolutely FREE.

Following is a summary of the program I used to cure my calf strain in 8 weeks - looking back I now know i could have done it in 4-6 weeks and this is what I will elaborate on in the e-book:
  • I used the exact same stretching, flexibility & yoga exercises in The Ultimate Cramp Busting Guide
  • I followed the same self-massage program as described in The Ultimate Cramp Busting Guide
  • I used Japanese acupuncture to 'get in control' of the injury - two treatments were required - in addition there are several pressure points that are very effective.
  • Moxa was applied to the calf and hamstring after every workout.
  • I trippled my calcium intake to 3000 mg of calcium and 1500 mg of magnesium per day - this was in a liquid and capsule form.
  • Strength training involving a 30 minute run and hill climbing - I'll elaborate on this program as it was key to conditioning the muscle to deal with the injury. In particular this involved getting the muscle to the point of failure and actually failing it repeatedly and conditioning it to fail after progressively longer periods.
  • Strenuous walking and making sure the foot is quite stretched during the stride.

For anyone who has suffered running cramps or calf strain, you will know that having a chronic injury of this type is debilitating, frustrating, painful and potentially expensive if you get an 'army' of therapists involved. The new book, I promise will deliver results.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home